ARE YOU READY FOR DIGITAL LEARNING STYLES?
Responding to Utopia and Disutopia discussion, I want to bring up my thought of this issue specifically in a classroom since it has largely affected our students nowadays.
Our generation learning experiences have been changed into the new level of learning styles. With massive development in technology, relevant learning required ‘digital styles’ which bring abstract theories into daily life experiences. Digital styles of learning involve the integrated social media which bring discussion, products, and friends into dynamic and interactive digital education. Many 21st generation teachers are trying to enhance their class with unique tools of social media such as live discussion at twitter, pictures sharing at Pinterest, video sharing at YouTube, and HangOut at Google+.
In addition, this kind of learning also integrate students gadget as main media for students to interact with teachers and all the learning resources. This is cool guidance for teachers in using Twitter for learning.
In summary, these are the advantage of digital styles of learning:
1. Accommodate student’s unique learning styles
2. Enhance learning insight and knowledge
3. Encourage interactive and dynamic discussion among the students
4. Give more freedom and opportunity for students to develop their own way of learning.
However, sometimes our digital education is fallen into scary nightmare as ‘Digital-centered education’ which makes the teachers and students become technology worshippers as the irony that showed in this video:
In addition, digital centered education made many teachers and students are driven by technology. It cause another horrible nightmare for education when the technology uses us not we use the technology. It also clearly described with this video:
Shortly, I think these are some disadvantages of digital implementation in the classroom:
1. Technical problems and barriers makes students confuse with learning
2. Irrelevant discussion that drives learning away from the objectives
3. ‘Force’ students to adapt with new technologies
4. Forget direct interaction and natural exploration of learning
From these videos, I reflected that we as future generation educators should learn digital learning wisely to master technology in right way. We could not only use every new technology in our classroom and we could not directly implement all kinds of technology make it as our ‘weapon’ to solve every educational challenges. It is not technology that answer all our problems, but we are the answers. It depends on how we use technology that meet the actual and relevant students needs. Sometimes, we move back using natural exploration without any technology to learn and solve our problems. In the midst of digital flood, I truly encourage educators all around the world to:
1. Explore students actual needs and different learning styles
2. Learn the application and the relevancies of technology with our topics
3. Implement technology with students centered approach.
4. Evaluate the usage of technology by collecting feedback from students.
Finally, The key of being ready with digital learning, I want to invite educators to join me to do this:
“Let’s master digital learning before they master you!”